Monday, July 9, 2012

Doggie trust

I experienced something Friday that I hadn't really experienced before: Angst about the temporary care of one of my babies from work. She was adopted to a home out of town (the adopter had adopted from us before) and a pet courier service was taking her (and two other dogs) on an eight hour drive to her new home. As I held her, a Miniature Dachshund, waiting to put her in the van, she clung to me. I suddenly felt a pang in the pit of my stomach at the thought of handing her over to this stranger who was going to take her away. I have to admit that for a brief moment, my mind imagined that this company was nothing but a big rouse and that they were taking the dogs to an unknown location. This pet courier service is reputable and the people are well-trained (and I was told we've used them before), but I wished I could ride along to ensure her safe delivery. I kissed her many times before placing her in the van and, in a few moments, they were gone. I thought about her all day and messaged the coordinator later that night, inquiring if they had arrived yet. Shortly thereafter, I got a message that they arrived safely and the three dogs had slept together most of the way. They were happy and healthy and home. Still, I anxiously await the adoption update with pics of everyone.
I hadn't been worried about her adoption; just the in between part of getting her there. She trusted me and I wanted to make her feel like everything would be alright. For that brief moment, though, I didn't know if everything was alright, even though my logical mind knew it was.
I am reminded of it all the time, but this event made it even more clear: We can never break the trust of an animal in our care. They depend on us for everything and it is our responsibility to provide it. No ifs, ands, or buts.

No comments:

Post a Comment